Gazette Name Change Online Fees: The process of legally changing one’s name in India involves several steps and requires careful consideration and planning. After publication of the name change notification in the Gazette of India online the process of name change in India is completed.
The Gazette notification means recording and publishing the applicant’s name change in India in the official Gazette. For various purposes, such as updating records with government agencies, banks, or educational institutions, a Gazette notification may be required.
The time duration for a Gazette name change is around 30-45 days. As a solution to all your concerns related to the online Gazette name change, we have brought this article to you.
- 1 Gazette Name Change Online Fees
- 2 Reasons For Name Change Gazette
- 3 Required Documents For Gazette Name Change
- 4 Stepwise Process Of Gazette Name Change
- 5 Conclusion
Gazette Name Change Online Fees
The fees for changing one’s name in the Gazette of India can vary depending on various factors such as whether a public notice is required, the state, and the specific requirements of the Department of Publication. The amount charged for the Gazette notification varies from Rs.700 to Rs.900, depending on if you want a public notice.
|Fees For Major||₹1,100|
|Fees For Foreign Situated Applicant||₹7,500|
|Fees For Minor Child||₹1,700|
|For Govt Employees||₹1,100|
Name Change Office Address In India
Central Gazette office, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi. It is localized in North Delhi.
Reasons For Name Change Gazette
- Correcting Errors: If there are discrepancies or errors in official documents such as PAN cards, Aadhaar cards, or other identification documents, a name change in the Gazette may be required to rectify the mistake.
- Mismatched Names: In cases where the name differs across different documents, such as having a different name on the PAN card and Aadhaar card, a name change in the Gazette can help align the names.
- Change of Gender: Individuals who undergo a gender transition may opt for a name change in the Gazette to reflect their new identity.
- Personal Preference: Some individuals may choose to change their name simply because they prefer a different name or want a unique name.
Required Documents For Gazette Name Change
- ID Proof: Passport, Driving License, Aadhar Card, or PAN Card.
- Address Proof: Aadhar Card, Electricity Bill, or Ration Card.
- Two copies of passport-size pictures.
- Application Form: Duly signed application form with all details of old & new name correspondence address, contact details & reason for a name change.
- In addition to these documents, self-attested supporting documents about the previous name and gender, address, GID, etc. should be attached for verification.
- Marriage certificate for women who want to change their name after marriage.
- Official Divorce Decree issued by a court in case the reason for name change application is divorce or second marriage.
- In case of adoption, you’ll need a court-signed adoption deed.
Stepwise Process Of Gazette Name Change
STEP 1: Prepare Affidavit
Prepare and notarize an affidavit on stamp paper that proclaims your intention to alter your name. The affidavit should include your full name, father’s name or husband’s name (in case of married women), full residential address, and a declaration stating that the facts provided in the affidavit are true and correct. The applicant should sign the affidavit and get it attested by a Notary or Judicial Magistrate or an Oaths Commissioner.
STEP 2: Ad in Newspaper
Advertise your decision to rename in two local newspapers. In the advert, both the old and new names should be disclosed. The newspaper publication should also include your age, address, date, and name of the notary who attested it.
Submit the affidavit and supporting documents to the appropriate authorities. The supporting documents include ID proof, address proof, and a passport-size photo. The application form should also be duly signed with all details of old & new name correspondence address, contact details & reason for a name change.
STEP 3: Gazette Notification
After the publication in a newspaper, the name change should be published in an official gazette application. The required documents, printing charges, and the request letter should be submitted to the Controller of Publications, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-110054. Here you’ll be required to send the notarized name change affidavit, copies of newspaper publication, filled form of name change duly, C.D. digital documents, and signed certificate declaring the hard and soft copy to be the same. A deed for name change form will also be required in case you are a government employee.
How long does it take to change the name legally in India?
The time required to legally change one’s name in India can vary depending on various factors, including the efficiency of the process and the workload of the authorities involved.
However, it generally takes around 4-8 weeks for the name change to be published in the Gazette. After the publication in the Gazette, it may take additional time for the name change to be updated on important documents.
It is important to note that the process may take longer if there are any errors or delays in the submission of documents or if there are any complications during the verification process. Engaging the services of legal experts or consultants can help ensure a quicker and hassle-free name change process.
You may like to read,
Can I change my name without publishing it in the Gazette of India?
It is not possible to change one’s name legally in India without publishing it in the Gazette of India. The Gazette publication is a mandatory step in the name change process in India. After the publication in the Gazette, the name change is considered legal and can be updated on important documents such as mark sheets, voter IDs, driving licenses, etc.
Lastly, you can obtain a copy of the Gazette notification either by downloading it from the portal or by applying for a physical copy. This Gazette notification serves as official proof of your name change. Certainly, online name change procedures through the Gazette in India have brought a transformative shift to a previously cumbersome process. We hope to have covered all your doubts regarding the online Gazatte name change process in India.